The Landscape Designer Intern will support the core functions of our Residential Design Business Unit. The intern will gain real-word paid experience by taking on assigned responsibilities in residential design and sales to sharpen core skills. The intern will also spend about 20% of their time rotating through other departments to learn how their core responsibilities helps make the business successful, especially as it pertains to the project life cycle. This position will run for approximately 90 days during the summer of 2020, depending on the accepted candidate and variables such as graduation date. The successful candidate will be energetic, skilled in design and industry-specific techniques, and a self-starting individual looking to utilize their design or horticulture-related college education to work at the next level within the field.
DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES
• Use creativity and the beauty of nature to design a harmonious, aesthetically pleasing and functional areas; such as lawns, walkways, outdoor living space, and more.
• Generate CAD designs, drafting plans, construction details, hand renderings, and digital 3D models.
• Present, promote, and sell products/services using convincing communication to both current and potential clients.
• Research topics such as plant health and their ability to survive within our climate, guidelines, and codes.
• Perform site analyses with other designers that include the assessment of current plants, soil conditions, slope/grade, lighting, the view, and architecture style of the property.
• Review and understand plans, proposed changes, and any other necessary documents.
• On occasion, participate in field work to be involved in a hands-on capacity in your design management process
• Support other functional departments as a supplement to the internship; such as Accounting, Human Resources, Technology, Quality Assurance, Sales, Estimating, and operational business units.
• Other duties as assigned.
• Must, at minimum, currently be in junior year of college to be considered.
• Bachelor’s (or meet the criteria above) in either Landscape Design, Landscape Architecture, Horticulture, or relevant college coursework and experience. An emphasis or minor in any of the above areas will also be considered.
• AutoCAD experience a must.
• A basic understanding of materials and labor costing.
• Knowledge of how ecological conditions can affect a proposed design.
• Raw talent for sketching and drawing. Though computer programs are used for most plans, the candidate should still be able to create realistic drawings by hand.
• Effective communication skills; including writing, routine correspondence, reports, presenting to employees, and interpersonal communication.
• Skilled in geometry and blueprints (including elevations, grades, etc.)
• Excellent with technology and software, including Microsoft Office Suite.
• Must pass post-offer background check consisting of employment history, professional references, criminal record, and drug screen (includes marijuana).
• Leadership, interpersonal, and multi-tasking skills (including the handling of multiple priorities and deadlines).
• Effective organizational skills that includes the ability to self-manage work.
• Must be highly adaptable to the kinds of change that comes along with working in an entrepreneurial environment.
• Self-starting initiative to pursue improvements and projects without substantial supervision.
DESIRED QUALITIES TO INCLUDE
• Landscaping industry experience.
• Construction industry experience.
• Experience in horticulture and/or outdoor fields.
PHYSICAL DEMAND & WORK ENVIRONMENT
• Mostly office environment with occasional field exposure.
• Occasionally lift/move up to 50lbs, above 50 pounds required to ask for help.
Location: Colorado Springs, CO.
Position Title: Residential Design Intern.
Reports To: Residential Design Intern.
Department: Residential Design.
Education: Bachelor’s Degree or at least junior year.
Experience: None required.
Career Level: Temporary, Intern.
Length: Approximately 90 days during the summer of 2020.
Wage: Hourly, $15.50 – $17 depending on experience and education level.
An Equal Opportunity Employer/E-Verify/Drug free workplace
8110 Opportunity View, Colorado Springs, CO 80939
Apply online, download the application, or come in and fill out an application today!